Saturday, October 17, 2015

An open letter to the college girls who hang out at Panera:


As I continue plugging away at my dissertation I spend a lot of time at Panera.  I have quickly learned that this is a favorite hang out for large groups of MU students after a night of partying.  Today I was especially distracted by a large and mouthy group of young ladies and was so relieved to see them leave.  Imagine my disappointment when a new group of almost equal size and identical banter took their place as if this place were an assembly line for pumping out relatively shallow conversations.  I tried to decide if I was becoming an old crotchety B%&@# or if I was even jealous of this time in their life that I lived in some form 15 years ago.  Then I realized that a lot of my judgment comes from an overwhelming desire to raise young girls well in a society that sometimes seems to work against me.  That became my inspiration for penning:
 
An open letter to the college girls who hang out at Panera:

1)   First, do yourself a favor and just enjoy your food.  Bagels are tasty, and they are significantly tastier when you are not discussing the number of calories on each person’s plate.  There is no need to justify your enjoyment by spelling out the amount of spaghetti squash you ate this week with nothing but plain tomato sauce (only 70 calories a serving!!!) or how you skipped all meals since breakfast yesterday.   When your friend comes back with a soufflé don’t say, “I thought you weren’t eating pastries.”  That’s mean and really none of your business. If you are that worried about the calorie count in your meal maybe don’t eat bread for breakfast or choose to have your morning debriefings about your drunken fun last night on a trail near your home and get healthy in a way that doesn’t involve self-hate and abuse. 
2)   Maybe don’t make out with so many guys that you have to duck when a nice looking young man and his dad stop by for their morning breakfast.  It’s not impressive when that moment inspires everyone to share similar stories from the night before.  I assure you “hooking up” with a guy never feels as good as you think it will in the long run.  Meaningful intimacy with someone you really love (married or not) will also help raise your self-confidence in a way that cannot be replaced by feeling wanted for one night by someone who probably would have picked any willing partner with whom he crossed paths.  Your worth is not defined by your ability to attract a partner.  Next time you go out, pretend like your future daughter is hanging out with you, and ask if she would be proud of the guys you are spending time with.  Would she want to call one of them dad?  You don’t have to marry every guy you date in college, but if you cannot say yes to this question then don’t waste your time. 
3)   Spend at least ten minutes of these ongoing meetings talking about things that matter.  Your friendship for each other is so obvious.  Use that friendship to talk about something, ANYTHING other than how drunk you were last night, what clothes/make-up you want to buy today or how little you try in each of your classes.  The older you get the more important and invigorating you will find deep conversations with people whose opinions you respect.  You might as well start practicing now so you can see which of your friends you really want to stay friends with ten or even twenty years from now.  I have a small handful of those friends from college, and they mean the world to me.  Don’t get me wrong, we can toss around a good party story like the rest of them, but we also know some of each other’s deepest fears and wishes, what we love about and worry about when it comes to our families, and which political issues we see eye to eye on and which ones we can bring up when we need to work out some aggression in a safe venue.  These bonds started early and came from our willingness to let down our guards a bit and our refusal to be walking clichés.
4)   I don’t fault you for the things you outwardly value as evidenced by your interactions and conversations you often have at Panera.  I know that so many of these values are instilled by a society that also has some “growing up to do.”  I know that there is more to you than what I see and even more to you than what you are willing to let many of your friends see.  Nurture those parts of yourself.  It makes you who you are and would probably make you a significantly more interesting conversation partner. 

I am sending you this letter not because I was always “above” all that you portrayed today, but because I was a victim of these obsessions at times as well.  Almost all the times I felt like I wasn’t good enough over the years came from conversations like the ones you had this morning among “friends.” Somehow I just decided I didn’t care enough about the things I was supposed to care about to keep pretending like I did.  I am almost 100% comfortable now with the fact that I don’t fit in with groups when they are acting like yours did this morning.  I hope that maybe I can help some of you get there a little faster too.  Most importantly, I hope I can my girls there. 

Sincerely –
The Grouch Who Should Be Writing Her Dissertation
AKA Mother of three future college girls who just might hang out Panera

AKA Danielle Johnson

1 comment: